Mr President, we’re scared

Some of the 2 400 children who gathered at a rugby field in Pretoria to remember victims of crime. (Herman Verwey, Beeld)

26/11/2008 09:29 – (SA)

Elana Carstens, Beeld

Pretoria – About 2 400 children gathered on a rugby field in Suiderberg on Tuesday to honour all South Africans who had lost their lives because of crime.

The children from Booysens Primary, Saamspan Primary and Suiderberg High carried white wooden crosses in the hope that the government would hear their plea for safety.

In about 2 000 letters to President Kgalema Motlanthe, the children asked him to address the crime problem, because they were scared of going to bed at night.

Children want death penalty back

“About 90% of the children are asking in these letters for the reinstatement of the death penalty,” said Kobus Hermitage, organiser and chairperson of the South Africa Against Crime action group.

“Something must be done urgently about crime in our country. Our children are too scared to leave their homes.”

Tanya Engelbrecht, 16, and Lavonne Benade, 16, pupils at Pretoria Tuine Technical High School, accused the government in their speeches of not being able to bring crime under control.

“We don’t even have a police force we can trust, because they’re getting away with murder,” Tanya said.

“We have to stand together to fight crime in our beautiful country.

“Ons is vir jou Suid-Afrika, Nkosi Sikelel ‘iAfrika,” Lavonne said.

ANC admits policing problem

Several representatives of political parties also attended the gathering.

General Siphiwe Nyanda from the ANC’s National Executive Committee admitted there were problems in the policing system.

“We have to take responsibility for the deeds that were committed and the poor way in which crime has been handled.”

Frik van Wyk of the Freedom Front Plus said he was disturbed by the way in which crime had been handled over the past 14 years.

“It has taken the governing party 14 years just to admit there is a problem. Will it take them another 14 years to do something about it?”

– Beeld

Source:News24
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2432602,00.html

3 Responses to “Mr President, we’re scared”

  1. SuidAmerikaner Says:

    Hello Whites of all South Africa!

    I´ll translate this article to “publish” in my Blog.
    http://identitario.tk/

    “Bloque Identitario” is Kaputt.
    My next comment going to have the link to the article in Spanish.
    People must know thats happend in South Africa. Sorry my bad English.

    bye!

  2. SuidAmerikaner Says:

    this post in Spanish!

    bye

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: